Find hundreds of project photos, patterns, & instructions to start your glass crafting hobby today.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Evelyn Paints Another Pane with Gallery Glass

You will remember Evelyn Fischer--she loves to do Gallery Glass Painting on old window frames? Well, the girl has been busy again. This is a project that she just finished and she took the time to document, photograph and write it up so that you can get a good idea of the process if you should be so lucky as to find a discarded window by the side of the road, or at a garage sale or in your own garage--here's what Evelyn did to make it a showcase project! The photo on the left is the panel placed in a window so that you can see the vibrant details. The photo on the left is the frame hung on a wall, which is where normally displays her finished art. Be sure to check out Evelyn's other projects in our Artists' Gallery.


"First thing you want to do is go out hunting for that perfect old beat up window.  I find mine at garage sales , swap meets, house remodels  and sometimes you can find them on the side of the road with free signs on them.  Once you find that perfect window  you go to the hardware store find a sanding block ( I used # 60 or you could just use sandpaper  - although I found the block a lot easier to handle.  Paints of your choice and caulking if needed. Prepping the window is relatively easy all you do is sand the window so it will accept the base coat well.  Then clean the window glass and caulk if needed.  If the window is in good condition meaning that the caulking in sound and not breaking away you will be ready to paint. On my window I had to re-caulk and for that I used Dap Kwik Seal Plus, kitchen and bath adhesive caulk in a squeeze tube.   I let it dry for 24 hours .  Now you are ready to paint the window in whatever method best suits you.  I have painted my window with Martha Stewart  paints which I purchased at Home Depot.
First step:   I painted the base coat. I chose the tintable tester size Base 2 Interior Latex Eggshell ( MSL 2012 ) tinted to the color of (Pencil MSL 082) for the base color let it dry overnight.  Second step:   I applied the crackle medium per manufacturer's directions.   I am using Sherman and Williams - Faux Impressions Crackle.   I applied it with a roller to make sure I had even coverage .   The manufacturer's  directions  states to let dry at least 1 hour before applying the top coat but I am waiting at least 2 hours.

Third step:  I  applied the topcoat - tester size Base 3 Interior Latex Eggshell ( MSL 2013 ) tinted to the color of (Barn MSL026)-  for the crackled topcoat  being  careful not to go back over the already painted area .  If you try to go back over what you have already painted it will pull off the crackled painted.  I let the crackle dry for 24 hours before continuing on.


Fourth step:  I applied the pattern to the window and applied the liquid leading.  Again I let the liquid leading dry for 24 hours.
Fifth step:  I applied the coloring working from the inside of the pattern to the outside pattern.  I did this so I would not touch what I had already filled with the paint.  Again let dry for 24 hours.
Sixth step:  Brush on Gallery Glass Protective Sealer. 
Materials you will need. Sanding Block #60 grit or sandpaper #60 grit, Caulking  if needed, Latex interior paint ( for this project I am using a crackle technique) So I need a base coat, crackle medium, and a top coat. Pattern to fit the window, Liquid leading and Redi-leading, Gallery Glass paints."



No comments:

Post a Comment