I had pre-sorted all the colors that each person would need to do their 3 selected designs into red Plaid Bags along with tools and accessories. I had also put the 3 leaded projects into individual bags with all the instructional material. I think that it was "beginning to look a lot like Christmas" by the time they arrived.
It took a while to explain the technique and most of the girls started with the Cornucopia. It was the design with the most shading and I wanted them to learn the maximum amount on the first project. The wonderful thing about Gallery Glass is that 90% of the method is basically 2 easy steps--Outline and Paint! Once you can do that, the other 10% of the technique has to do with eliminating air bubbles and we learned a number of "tricks" to minimize those pesky little flaws!
The girls began by sorting through their bag of colors for the specific ones on their color list. And then there was the bottle "opening" process (removing the shrink wrap) which was accomplished with a Gallery Glass Cutting Tool. The next step featured a little explanation on the dry erase board--making sure that everyone knew that it was recommended procedure to outline the space they were painting--then fill in the center up to the level of the leading. And that it was necessary to get the paint up ON the Leading, rather than trying meticulously to avoid touching it.
Next we began the combing and tapping lesson. This is not rocket science, but it took a little bit of experimental wielding of the nutpick to get the action just right. The object of the game is to slightly "thin" the layer of paint enough so that the bubbles rise to the top and POP! If they don't, then the "acorn" end of the nutpick is recommended for "whopping" the bottom of the styrene project directly UNDER the bubble so that the shock waves will eliminate the bubble. It's not the most restful sound to an outsider, but a glass crafter hardly notices it, we are so intent on perfecting our technique and producing a flawless finish.
The day went by so quickly we didn't have time to do the other 2 projects, but hopefully the girls got back to painting once they got it all home and could spread it out in their craft area--which may be their dining room table--for now. It takes a while before you decide to dedicate a whole room in your house --just to glass painting--like I did. The ladies were sweet and wonderful and I enjoyed their enthusiasm and answering all their questions. Many were planning more extensive projects before they even got out of the building.
We will be showing more of the other designs that they painted as we get into Christmas designs in a few weeks. Hopefully, we will also be loading photos of some of their future projects into our Artists' Corner. Aren't Beginners wonderful. They have the whole amazing glass painting experience-- still to discover! I envy them in a way, don't you? We already know how much fun they're going to have in their crafty future.